New Student Application Process
Interested students should complete the Mannes Prep Online Application and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $75.
New students are admitted to Mannes Prep after an interview process, submission of a placement video, and completion of an online music theory placement test. The application deadline is extended until all spots are filled for each instrument. Please
review these tips for selecting a teacher at Mannes Prep. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
Fall 2023 Interviews
Tuesday, May 2–Friday, May 5, 2023
Tuesday, May 9–Friday, May 12, 2023
Additional interview dates will be shared with applicants.
Interviews will be held remotely.
Cost-of-attendance information is available on the Mannes Prep Tuition and Fees Sheet.
View the Mannes Prep AY23-24 Academic Calendar.
Placement Video Information
- Placement videos should be a maximum of ten minutes.
- Shorter videos are welcome.
- Please excerpt your pieces if they are longer than ten minutes—choose sections that best represent your playing to assist us in your placement.
- Internal cuts within pieces are recommended.
- Beginners with no experience on any instrument are not required to submit a placement video.
- Instrumentalists should prepare a placement video containing two contrasting pieces and a major or minor scale of their choosing. Accompanists are neither required nor provided.
- Vocalists should prepare a placement video containing a vocalise of their choosing and two contrasting songs, one of which should be in English. Accompanists are neither required nor provided.
- Composers should submit two scores of pieces they have written recently. Recordings are welcome but not required.
- Percussionists should prepare a placement video containing repertoire excerpts for any instruments you play including repertoire for snare drum, mallet instruments, and timpani. Beginners and younger students should demonstrate what they can play on any
of the above instruments.
- Jazz drummers and drum set students should prepare a placement video that includes different styles and tempos, such as swing, jazz ballad (brushes), bossa nova and funk, in addition to preparing a rudimental snare solo of their choice. Beginners and
younger students should demonstrate what they can play on any of these instruments.
- All applicants take a music theory placement test to determine which theory class is best for them.
- For young students who have not previously studied music, the interview process is a chance for the faculty and students to get to know one another and determine the right fit.
Continuing Students Renewal Process
Returning students must renew by May 1 to ensure a place for the following year. Renewal instructions are emailed to families by the Prep office, and the process music must be completed and the nonrefundable tuition deposit paid by May 1.
For more information about the admission or renewal process, please email us at [email protected].