Over the course of the four-year program, students complete coursework in the following areas of study. Please see the academic catalog (PDF) for the current detailed program curriculum.
- Private Lessons
- Techniques of Music (Music Theory, Ear Training, Dictation, Piano)
- Small and Large Ensembles
- Performance Courses and Electives
- Guided Electives (Courses in Arranging, Composition, Entrepreneurship, Improvisation, Pedagogy, Technology)
- Liberal Arts Courses (Music History in Context, Electives at The New School)
Students also engage in a series of cross-disciplinary courses through the CoPA Core program, which includes a combination of required and elective courses that all undergraduate students at the College of Performing Arts participate in. These courses explore themes including Improvisation & Collaboration, The Whole Human Artist, Socially Engaged Artistry, and Tech & Experimentation.