• Students sometimes face financial difficulties during their college career that may affect not only their academic life but also their ability to meet their basic needs. The university and the New York City community offer a number of resources to help students address these challenges. 

    Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) III

    In fall 2021, The New School received $14.2 million from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF III), a federal program that provides support to institutions of higher education to ensure learning continues during the COVID-19 pandemic. The government designated equal portions of this funding as follows:

    • $7.1 million to provide support to students who have faced significant financial hardship as a result of the pandemic; and 
    • $7.1 million for university use to cover institutional expenses incurred during COVID-19, of which the university allocated $5.7 million to erase debt for degree students who had unpaid tuition and fee balances from the spring, summer, and fall 2020 semesters.

    Below are links to frequently asked questions about how this funding was distributed to students. For more information about how previous federal funding has been used by The New School, please visit the Federal Funding Reports page.

    All HEERF funding has been disbursed to students and is no longer available.

  • University Resources

    Financial Aid (Loans, Scholarships, Appeals)
    [email protected]


    Student Accounts (Tuition, Payment, and Refunds)
    [email protected]


    Scholarship Advising (External Scholarships, Grants, and Fellowships)
    [email protected]

    Emergency Food, Pharmacy, and Transportation Cards
    Student Health Services
     and Student Support and Advocacy offer temporary emergency support cards for students who have an immediate and urgent need. An immediate and urgent need is defined as no access to food, no access to money, no Metrocard to attend class, no money to buy a needed prescription, or resources for food and transportation expiring in less than two days.

    Student Emergency Assistance Program
    The Student Emergency Assistance Program provides one-time financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are experiencing acute financial distress and meet the program's eligibility requirements. Monetary support for the program is provided in part by the Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation Emergency Fund.

    The Student Emergency Assistance Program is designed to address urgent needs and cannot be used to cover tuition. Other ineligible expenses include reimbursements, non-emergency travel, future non-urgent expenses, and on-campus housing. Student grant recipients are expected to work with Student Support staff or outside services to take steps toward long-term stability. 

    The program can assist students contending with emergencies such as:

    • Childcare 
    • Fire in living quarters
    • Homelessness
    • Temporary loss of job
    • Transportation 
    • Clothing 
    • Food 
    • Medical, vision, dental expenses
    • Theft of personal property
    • Travel for death/illness of family member

    Students may be eligible for assistance if:

    • They are enrolled for the current term
    • They are in good academic standing
    • They are experiencing an emergency

    Students who need emergency financial assistance and meet the eligibility requirements, can complete this application. Once you submit your application, you may be asked to attend a meeting with a Student Success staff member and/or submit more detailed documentation regarding your request.

    Please note: Students experiencing extreme hardship are prioritized for support and applications are processed on a rolling basis. Submitting an application does not guarantee funding. If you have any questions, please email [email protected]. If you require additional financial aid information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected].

    New York Resources 

    The city, state, and federal governments also offer a variety of benefits for which you may be eligible. Use the following resources to access these benefits.

    Access NYC Benefits Finder
     is a free service that helps you find out if you qualify for more than 30 city, state, and federal benefit programs, such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or help with utility bills. You can use this service anonymously, or you can create an account.

    Temporary Assistance and Safety Net (funded by the State of New York)
    The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Services offers temporary help for needy men, women, and children. If you are unable to work, you can't find a job, or your job does not pay enough, TA may be able to help you pay for your expenses.

    Office of Victim Services
    The New York State Office of Victim Services provides compensation to innocent victims of crime for their out-of-pocket losses associated with crime. The website also provides information about local crime victim resources and services.

  • Emergency Contacts

    NYC Police and EMS
    Call 911
    Campus Security

    Counseling Services

    212.229.1671 option 1
    (Nurse Response will answer the phone after hours)

  • Contact Us

    Student Support
    72 Fifth Avenue, 4th floor
    New York, NY 10011
    [email protected]

    212.229.5900 x3701

    Office Hours
    Monday–Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

    Student Emergency Assistance Program
    [email protected]

    Food Pantry
    [email protected]

  • Related Links

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.