Recent Updates: Visit our COVID-19 Community Guide for information about in-person teaching and learning this fall. 

  • Non-Degree Students

      • Take the Next Step

        Contact Us

        Office of Admission
        The New School for Social Research
        55 West 13th Street
        New York, NY 10011
        212.229.5600 or 800.523.5411

        Related Links

    • The summer and fall 2021 graduate non-degree application for credit or audit is closed. Non-degree for-credit and noncredit courses are available through Continuing and Professional Education.

      Those who hold a bachelor’s degree from any university in the world can apply to join individual graduate classes at The New School for Social Research without enrolling in a degree program. 

      A successful non-degree applicant may apply and take courses in one of two ways:

      1. For graduate credits 
      2. On a noncredit basis and for audit 

      How to Apply and Enroll

      Successful applicants who receive non-degree student status can enroll during the fall, spring, or summer semesters. A complete non-degree application consists of:

      • The Application for Non-Degree Study form
      • A $50 application fee
      • An official transcript with proof of graduation and bachelor's degree conferral
      • One letter of recommendation (waived for audit registration)
      • A one- to three-page statement of purpose
      • English proficiency exam scores if English is not your native language. We accept the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exams. 

      Guidelines and Policies for Non-Degree Students

      Non-degree students — whether they're pursuing credits or auditing online — are limited to a maximum of two courses in a semester and a total of three courses all together. Audited courses count toward the three-course limit for non-degree students. Non-degree study may not exceed two semesters. Thus, non-degree students who take only one course in each of two semesters have also reached the limit of non-degree study. 

      Non-degree students who wish to enroll for a second semester are required to submit a new Application for Non-Degree Study form listing the course or courses they wish to register for and to receive departmental approval to take the desired course or courses. They do not need to submit supporting documents again or pay another application fee.

      Admission to 6000-level courses for non-degree students requires approval from the course's instructor before registration; 7000-level courses are not open to non-degree students.

      Unless specified otherwise, non-degree students taking courses for credit are governed by and expected to adhere to the same policies as degree students for course grades and other matters. Students who audit online courses do not receive grades but are expected to adhere to course policies and standards.

      Counting Credits Toward a Degree Program

      If subsequently admitted to a graduate degree program, non-degree course takers may petition to have the credit they earned during non-degree study applied to the degree program. However, credits will not be awarded for audited courses nor can they be applied toward degree completion under any circumstances.

      Only non-degree students who take courses for credit have full privileges at New School libraries and academic computing facilities. 

      For information on cost, please see the Tuition and Fees page. Students who wish to come to NSSR as full-time visiting students should see the visiting student page for information.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.