The Creative Entrepreneurship minor is offered through Parsons School of Design and Parsons Paris.
This minor introduces a variety of strategic design and management methodologies and skills necessary for the creation and growth of entrepreneurial ventures in a fast-changing environment. Students build skills in recognizing and developing
business opportunities. Students must have a disciplined and deliberate mindset as well as an openness to participating in group dynamics in creative and collaborative contexts.
The Creative Entrepreneurship minor requires successful completion of 18 credits in six subject areas, as outlined in the chart below.
Course availability may vary from semester to semester. Some courses may be in development and offered at a later time. Students seeking to pursue alternative coursework to fulfill the minor should consult with their advisors.
The table below shows courses offered on the Parsons campus in New York City. Visit the Parsons Paris website to view course offerings in Paris that fulfill the requirements
of the Creative Entrepreneurship minor.
*Prerequisite: Quantitative Reasoning 1 or placement exam
A student who has completed this minor should be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the economic, social, and environmental contexts that shape organizational practices and spur the adoption of new business models
- Competence in applying basic strategic design methodologies to conceive and develop innovative product and service ventures
- Competence in effectively collaborating and interacting with colleagues, partners, and customers in flat and organic creative settings
- Understanding of techniques, methods, and practices for successfully engaging stakeholders and launching new products and services
- Competence in managing the financial resources of an organization
- Competence in running the core finance, marketing, and operations functions of a business for successful planning, launching, and growth of entrepreneurial ventures
The Creative Entrepreneurship minor is available to undergraduate students across The New School, with the exception of students enrolled in the BBA in Strategic Design and Management. This minor requires an application for admission.
For questions regarding this minor's curriculum, including requests for course substitutions, please contact Rhea Alexander, Associate Professor of Strategic Design and Management, at [email protected].
How to Declare, Change, or Apply to a Minor
General guidelines for declaring a minor are available here. Current students can declare or change a minor by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab,
and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.
An application is required for admission to this minor. Access the application form by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab, and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.
To start a minor in the fall, submit your application by March 1. Notification of decision on minor applications happens by April 1.
To start a minor in the spring, submit your application by October 1. Notification of decision on minor applications happens by November 1.