• Curriculum Hero


  • The New School is not currently admitting new students to this master’s degree program.

    The Master of Arts degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages is awarded for successful completion of 30 credits, six core courses, three required courses in the student's chosen concentration, and two elective courses. The minimum amount of time needed to earn the degree is one year, which includes full-time study and the summer on-campus intensive. Part-time students can earn the degree in 20 months (five semesters).

    • Degree Master of Arts (MA)
    • Credits 30
    • Format Full-time or part-time, on campus, online, or both
    • Duration 1 year (full-time)
    • Start Term Fall, Spring, or Summer
  • Summer Intensive

    Coronavirus Update

    The Summer Intensive is now entirely online. All classes will now run in a single session from June 1 to August 2, 2020. 

    MA TESOL students interested in studying on-site at The New School's Greenwich Village campus can expedite their studies by taking up to 12 credits (four courses) in our summer intensive program. This is an opportunity to meet and learn from our distinguished instructors, interact with your classmates face-to-face, and experience a summer in New York City.

    Learn more

    Outreach Program

    The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MA TESOL) Outreach Program provides free English language classes to migrants, immigrants, refugees, and provides New School MA TESOL students with the opportunity to gain invaluable teaching experience in the English language classroom. Since 2007, it has grown exponentially into a respected community-based organization, with classes year-round throughout New York City.

    Learn more

    Online Learning

    The MA TESOL program is designed to accommodate aspiring and working English language teachers and curriculum developers anywhere in the world. The entire curriculum is available online, so students have the option of completing the degree online or taking a combination of online and on-campus courses.

    Learn more

    Degree Requirements

    Core Courses


    NMAT 5012 Language Analysis for Teachers: Phonology, Lexis, and Syntax3
    NMAT 5114 Language Analysis for Teachers: Grammar and Discourse3
    NMAT 5011 Principles of Language Learning and Teaching3
    NMAT 5154 English in the World3
    NMAT 5162 E-Portfolio1

    NMAT 5163 Observing the English Language Classroom

    or Practitioner Research

    Concentration Requirements (choose one area)
    Teaching Concentration
    NMAT 5021 Methods and Materials: Systems3
    NMAT 5022 Methods and Materials: Skills3
    NMAT 5910 Teaching Practicum3
    Two approved electives (view list)6
    Curriculum Development Concentration
    NMAT 5151 Curriculum Development and Course Design3
    NMAT 5152 Learner Assessment3
    NMAT 5153 Writing ESOL Materials3
    Two approved electives (view list)6


    In consultation with an academic advisor, you choose two electives from a wide range of courses offered by the MA TESOL and other graduate programs at the university. It is also possible to complete a semester of independent study for credit, in consultation with a faculty advisor. You have the option of using your electives to diversify your career as an independent ESOL teacher or business owner through courses in management, entrepreneurship, and innovation.

    Graduate Minors

    MA TESOL students can also use elective courses to complete one of the university's graduate minors, which provide a structured, accessible way to complement your primary course of study with fresh ways of thinking. Graduate minors are officially recorded on your transcript.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.