The university residence halls will be open for those who would like to reside on campus, and we anticipate operating near capacity. Building amenities, including gyms, music practice rooms, art studios, and lounges will be open for use.
Masks are encouraged and optional on campus, including in the residence halls. Wearing a mask is strongly recommended and no longer required in indoor campus spaces, with limited exceptions as follows:
- Student Health Services, Student Disability Services, and COVID testing sites
- Following recovery from a recent infection or after a close exposure to an infected individual, based on university policy
- Suite Capacity Limits: Each student suite will be allowed to have one additional guest per person, meaning that if you live in a suite of five (i.e. a double room with two people and a triple room with three people), your maximum capacity is a total of 10.
- Lounge Capacity: We are reducing lounge capacity by 50%. New signage has been posted in lounges detailing current limits for each space.
- Elevator Capacity: Elevators on campus have specific capacities to limit overcrowding. Students should adhere to the signage in each residence hall. Please make every effort to plan out your day to ensure you have adequate time to leave or take the stairs when possible to minimize delays.
- Fitness Room Access: In compliance with the guidelines outlined in New York City's Executive Order (225), only vaccinated individuals are eligible to use fitness rooms within the residence halls.
Residential students will be permitted to have any active New School Student as a guest. They must sign-in their guest and accompany their guest at all times. Please refer to our FAQ for more information about our residence hall guest policy.
Masks are available at no cost from vending machines in residence halls and select other spaces.
During move-in, one non-residential guest at a time can join each student. The guest can be interchanged with another guest to assist the resident. Non-residential guests will not be permitted to enter the residence halls other than during move-in.
Between move-in and September 12, out of an abundance of caution, guests are not allowed in the residence halls.
Beginning September 12, each residential student is permitted one day/overnight guest at a time. All guests must be pre-registered and follow university policies regarding wearing a mask in public spaces.
Residential students must notify their roommates and/or suite-mates before hosting a guest in their apartment. Additionally, all residents are responsible for their guest's actions during their visit, and any policy violation made by a resident and/or their guest may result in disciplinary action.
Please visit the Housing website for more information.
Dining services will offer grab-and-go options.